67 calories (1/2 of recipe); 6.5 g protein; 3.4 g fat; 3.1 g carbohydrate; 2.0 g net carbs; 104 mg sodium; 26 mg cholesterol; 1.4 g fiber
5 small shrimp (34 g shelled in photo)
1/2 small usuage thin deep-fried tofu (prepped)
1 tbsp katakuriko potato starch (to clean shrimp; not in photo)
1/2-1 tbsp sake (to cook shrimp; not in photo)
For shiraae tofu dressing (see Notes if not using shoyukoji soy sauce rice malt)
50-60 g kinugoshi soft tofu (56 g in photo)
2 tsp toasted white sesame seeds
1/2 tsp usukuchi shoyukoji soy sauce rice malt (made with usukuchi soy sauce)
1 tsp dashi
Clean shrimp with katakuriko potato starch, and rinse well.
Sogigiri slice at a slant into smaller pieces.
Bring plenty of water to boil; blanch spinach, putting stem ends first, then the leaves.
Meanwhile, fry usuage thin deep-fried tofu without oil until crispy.
In suribachi mortar, grind sesame seeds.
When shrimp and usuage are cool, mix everything together.
First squeeze out excess water from spinach again, and add to tofu dressing.
- Shoyukoji gives a mellow sweet taste, but if you prefer something sweeter, add a small amount of sugar (pinch) or mirin (max. 1/4 tsp) after tasting dressing.
- Make sure all ingredients are cool before mixing with tofu dressing.
- The crispiness of usuage will be lost if left in dressing for some time. Ideally, mix all ingredients immediately before serving.
- Shrimp can be boiled with sake instead of microwaved. In either case, pay attention to the color and stop cooking when they turn pink. Overcooked shrimp have a rubbery, unpleasant texture.
- Momen firm tofu works, too. This tofu dressing would be more substantial and crumbly (see example) compared to the creamy texture of dressing made with kinugoshi soft tofu.
- If not using shoyukoji soy sauce rice malt, use 1/2 tsp usukuchi soy sauce and add 1/4 tsp mirin. The sodium content per 1/2 recipe in this case would be 130 mg. Usukuchi soy sauce would give a clearer saltiness whereas shoyukoji makes the dressing taste more complex, similar to adding miso.
(Last updated: May 21, 2014)