23 calories (1/2 of recipe); 0.5 g protein; 0 g fat; 5.2 g carbohydrate; 4.2 g net carbs; 33 mg sodium; 0 mg cholesterol; 1.0 g fiber
4-5 cm daikon radish (104 g in photo)
For amazu sweetened vinegar
2 tsp rice vinegar
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp shiokoji salted rice malt
Add sugar to rice vinegar, microwave for 5-7 seconds, and mix well.
Core tomato, and make crisscross cuts on skin.
Blanch tomato for 30-40 seconds, and transfer to ice water to cool.
Meanwhile, gently squeeze out excess water from daikon (to the degree it is still very moist but does not drip without pressing), and place in mixing bowl.
When tomato cools, skin, cut crosswise into 2 or 3 sections, seed, and dice.
- Cherry tomatoes also work great.
- Squeezing out excess water should basically reduce the volume of grated daikon by half.
- If shiokoji is not available, use salt and a bit more sugar (shiokoji is both salty and sweet).
- Add some lemon juice when pairing this with deep-fried items for a fresher note.
- "Oroshi" is a shortened form of "daikon oroshi [grated daikon radish]."