For amazu sweetened rice vinegar marinade
4 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp water
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt (for a reduced-sodium version, use 1/2 tsp shiokoji salted rice malt)
In a microwaveable cup or bowl, put rice vinegar, water, sugar and salt, and microwave for 30 seconds to melt sugar and salt.
Skin and slice beet 5 mm thick.
Ready to eat after several hours.
- Keeps in the fridge for at least 1 week.
- Beets become somewhat soft after 1-2 days (depends on the thickness of slices).
- If in a hurry, use 6 tbsp rice vinegar without using water, and slice beet thinner. It still tastes best after at least 1 hour.
- The proportions of ingredients used in the amazu marinade above are basically the same as ingredient proportions in sushizu sushi rice vinegar, although amazu marinade above is slightly less sweet (and less salty because of marinating beets for days). If you have leftover sushizu, you can use that instead.
- If you use shiokoji instead of salt, reduce the amount of sugar somewhat (to 4 tsp or less), because shiokoji is both salty and sweet.
(Last updated: June 4, 2015)